Tuesday 28 May 2013

Try Dive (Guest Writer)

I convinced my wife Jenny to go on a try dive! Here is here guest spot on the BLog Book!

--Tony.

"I was finally encouraged to do a try dive with Tiverton BSAC. Although I'm not afraid of water I was concerned about being underwater with the breathing apparatus. When I got to Tiverton swimming pool, Linda - my instructor for the evening- put my mind at ease by reassuring me that she would go at whatever pace I felt happy with. Something to rememberr is to take some socks to wear under your flippers fins and also a t-shirt to wear under your jacket and tank.

"Linda went through safety first which included hand signals to use, as surprisingly you can't talk underwater ;-) We then put our equipment on in the pool. We started off nice and slowly, learning how to use the equipment and how to breath with the mouthpiece. Then once I was comfortable we went under for the first time - not too deep, just enough for our heads to be under the water.

"Learning to breathe under the water through the mouthpiece was a strange experience, it felt similar to gas and air (entonox) which I had when giving birth earlier this year. I quickly got used to it though I found I wanted to try the next step rather quickly! We sunk ourselves using the valves on the jacket and did a length along the bottom of the pool. This was when hand signals became useful. My fins kept slipping off the back of my feet, so I had to signal to Linda for her to help put them back on. This wasn't difficult at all, as long as you remember to stay calm!

"I got to the point where I was happy to swim on my own, and although Linda stayed with me we felt that she no longer needed to hold my hand. 

"When we got out I couldn't stop smiling! Considering I wasn't too sure to begin with, I know I can't wait for my husband's membership to come up for renewal so we can sign up for membership as joint members, and then I can start my lessons! I can't wait!"

--Jenny


No comments:

Post a Comment